[yocto] working my way through the kernel hands-on labs finally

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Apr 8 08:41:39 PDT 2013

  finally have the time to work my way through the ELC 2013 hands on
kernel labs described here:

https://www.yoctoproject.org/tools-resources/presentations/working-kernel

since i'll almost certainly use some of them in my next yocto course,
so the occasional question for anyone who's already been down this
road.  start with lab 1.

  the doc mentions including the meta-yocto and meta-yocto-bsp layers
-- are those strictly necessary? the layer.conf definition file for
the lab1 layer doesn't list those layers as dependencies. what will
happen if i leave them out? what's the policy on explicitly listing
dependencies on those two layers in a new layer?

  also, just doing a basic fetch for lab1 produces:

ERROR: QA Issue:
/home/rpjday/yocto/k_lab/layers/meta-lab1-qemux86/recipes-kernel/linux/linux_3.0.18.bb:
Variable FILES is set as not being package specific, please fix this.

  is that deliberate? something that will be resolved later in the
lab as part of an exercise? just curious.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca