[yocto] Installing foreign fonts into the yocto build

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 5 00:26:57 PDT 2013

On Friday 05 April 2013 09:05:34 Satya Swaroop Damarla wrote:
> Thank you Paul..  This was very helpful... From your reply. I understood
> that poky build doesnot support unicode characters set because the german
> special characters are not displayed ... Am I right?

There's nothing inherent about Poky / OpenEmbedded that means it doesn't
support Unicode. Individual pieces of software might have difficulties however.
I just copied over a text file containing "Schrödinger's 😻" (i.e. one German
character and one special one) in UTF-8 to a core-image-sato image. The file
doesn't display properly in the matchbox-terminal application (displaying
garbage, indicating the encoding is incorrect), however in Notes (leafpad) it
displays the ö but not the 😻 (displaying a single box with hex code instead,
indicating that the font is missing that special character).

FYI I read this article recently and found it very useful - you may already
know some or all of this, but just in case:

Paul

PS please keep the discussion on the mailing list, thanks.

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre