[yocto] This one can't be me...

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 2 14:27:32 PDT 2013

I've successfully built core-image-base-cedartrail-nopvr, with NO
modifications, no meta-oe layer to pull in Samba, no attempt to partition
the flash drive, just the .hddimg file dd'ed to /dev/sdb, to see if I can
get something, anything to boot out of the box.

I get a kernel panic when it tries to boot on my Intel DN2800MT mobo, with
1GB of RAM. The error messages, which appear on the attached VGA monitor,
are:

VFS: Cannot open root device "ram0" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option;
here are the available partitions:
VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
User configuration error - no valid root filesystem found

Here is the syslinux.cfg file that is controlling the boot:

# Automatically created by OE
serial 0 115200
ALLOWOPTIONS 1
DEFAULT boot
TIMEOUT 10
PROMPT 1
LABEL boot
KERNEL /vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=boot  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318
LABEL install
KERNEL /vmlinuz
APPEND initrd=/initrd LABEL=install  root=/dev/ram0   console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0 video=vesafb vga=0x318

This is a live-image boot, and the flash drive contains the usual five
files. As far as I can tell, a live-image boot is a two-stage boot beginning
with a really stripped down vmlinuz and a small RAM-disk read from initrd,
which then reads the big rootfs.img into another RAM-disk and tries to boot
the real kernel from that. I don't know which kernel is panicking, because
it all flies by so fast.

Any ideas, or am I cursed?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco