[yocto] RFC: templates in Hob 1.5

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 08:50:58 PDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:21 AM, Barros Pena, Belen
<belen.barros.pena at intel.com> wrote:
> But it seems to me there is
> more interesting stuff buried somewhere in your answer, so I hope it's ok
> if I dig a little deeper.

:-D

> I think I might have asked the wrong question. Let's forget about the word
> "template" for a moment, and ask something a bit different: of the stuff
> you select / configure when building an image with Hob, what would be
> useful to save for reuse? Once we determine that, we can discuss how it
> should be called ("template" could be the wrong word).

When I use Hob to click on things here and there, I'm usually just
playing around; just trying out some things. When I find some
combination of things that I like, my instinct would be to
compartmentalize that off into a layer: a particular grouping of
packages would either be a DISTRO or an image, building something for
a particular development board would be a BSP or a MACHINE (etc).

In other words I think the "layer" concept completely captures
whatever it is you're trying to capture with "templates".

:-D

If you're looking to integrate this functionality into Hob, maybe you
need to look at some way of creating layers? Perhaps a user could save
their package configuration as a DISTRO or in an image layer?