[yocto] 1.3_M5.rc2 status.

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Sep 26 13:02:18 PDT 2012

Dear Chris,

In message <CABcZANmPe_D+GPWxnkVZCmE9ti011ZDSXxPix8ztW4vrdYiyZA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Well, the comment in  "meta-yocto/conf/bblayers.conf.sample"  says:
> >
> >         # LAYER_CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/bblayers.conf
> >         # changes incompatibly
> >
> > This suggests that such changes are not exactly unusual.  But any such
> > change will cause the build to fail, because the sanity checker uses a
> > different value.
>
> This is wrong. A compatibility break in bblayers.conf is *extremely* rare.
>
> > If such a change is allowed and is done intentionally, then it should
> > be considered "sane", and the sanity checker should not complain.
>
> Wrong. The user has to know that they may need to change their
> bblayers.conf to match the upstream structure. If it didn't complain,
> they could silently break or encounter unexpected behavior.

Sorry, but I don't get how this is supposed to work.

I have an incompatible change, and increase LAYER_CONF_VERSION in my
meta layer's bblayers.conf.sample .  When sourcing oe-init-build-env,
this file gets copied to the build dir as conf/bblayers.conf.
Building with this setting fails, because the samity checker does not
accept the value.  So I have to actually undo the change I made in
bblayers.conf.sample to make it build.

My internal sanity checker barfs on such logic...

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Tell the truth and run."                          - Yugoslav proverb