[yocto] what are libraries required to use SDL

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Mon Sep 24 11:59:03 PDT 2012

On 24 Sep 2012, at 10:16, Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:

> I'm using the MM soc i.MX6 from freescale. My application doesn't require a full fledged desktop GUI so I'm basing my work on minimal image. The application needs to play video "Possibly full screen" using gstreamer and just draw some buttons over the video for control using SDL.

I've no experience with that platform, but...

> I have included libsdl - libsdl-image - libx11 and this is what was installed:
> root at imx6qsabrelite:~# rpm -qa |grep sdl
> libsdl-1.2-0-1.2.15-r0.armv7a
> libsdl-image-1.2-0-1.2.10-r3.armv7a
>
> root at imx6qsabrelite:~# rpm -qa |grep libx
> libxau6-1.0.7-r0.armv7a
> libxdmcp6-1.1.1-r0.armv7a
> libxml2-2.7.8-r7.armv7a
> libxcb1-1.8.1-r0.armv7a
> libx11-6-1.4.4-r3.armv7a
> libxext6-1.3.1-r0.armv7a
> libx11-xcb1-1.4.4-r3.armv7a
> libxfixes3-5.0-r0.armv7a
> libxrender1-0.9.7-r0.armv7a
> libxi6-1.4.5-r0.armv7a
> libxxf86vm1-1.1.2-r0.armv7a
> libxdamage1-1.1.3-r1.armv7a
> libxtst6-1.2.1-r0.armv7a
>
> I still get the same error message so I'm not sure what else I need to do to tell SDL to use HDMI video output?

Do you also need to have an X server to use Xlib?

> If it easer to use DirectFB rather than libx11 I can do that. Is it only directfb that I need to include? Is there any configuration parameters that I need to enable?

If you don't need a full GUI then DirectFB will certainly do the job. All I did to get this going was:

1) Add libsdl as a dependency;
2) Add the following to local.conf to pull in DirectFB and build libsdl to use it:
     DISTRO_FEATURES += " directfb"

> Thanks in advance.
>
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:09 PM, Chris Tapp <opensource at keylevel.com> wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2012, at 20:07, Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm porting a program which uses SDL to openembedded Yocto-project. I have included libsdl to my image but SDL is failling to initialize SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) gives:
> >  No available video device
> >
> > What are the packages that I need to install to get SDL video device?
>
> What graphics do you have available? I've got it working ok using DirectFB and X11 should be ok as well.
>
> Chris Tapp
>
> opensource at keylevel.com
> www.keylevel.com

Chris Tapp