[yocto] developing with devshell and effect of the bitbake.conf file

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Thu Sep 6 07:01:54 PDT 2012

On Thursday 14 June 2012 15:46:51 Rifenbark, Scott M wrote:
> I want to throw this out for discussion.  I recently was looking at a
> section in the YP Reference manual
> (http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.h
> tml#platdev-appdev-devshell) where it talks about developing using devshell.
>  I asked Darren Hart if this was a valid development model and he says it
> is.  There is a part of the section though that talks about the
> bitbake.conf file.  That section in the conf file does not seem to exist
> anymore.  And, Darren (after some testing) doesn't see how what is in the
> bitbake.conf file affects development with devshell.  Any comments welcome.
>

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 2:19 PM, Darren Hart wrote:
>> On 06/12/2012 11:34 AM, Scott Rifenbark wrote:
>> > Hi Darren,
>> >
>> > So check out section
>> > http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.h
>> > tml#platdev-appdev-devshell. This talks about the whole devshell model.
>> > One thing in this section is not current and that is the UI/Interfaces
>> > Configuration section
>> > reference in bitbake.conf file.  Regarding the section though, is this
>> > still a valid development model?  Is it worth keeping around in the docs?
>> >
>> > As you can tell, I value your opinions greatly :)
>>
>> As I understand it, this is still a perfectly valid working model.
>> Someone was just recommending it this week on the list.
>>
>> As for the bitbake.conf file... I'm not sure. I thought this would have
>> been controlled by the following in local.conf.
>>
>> # If you do not use (or have installed) gnome-terminal you will need to
>> # uncomment these variables and set them to the terminal you wish to use
>> # when resolving patches which cannot be applied
>> # Supported shell prefixes for *_TERMCMD and *_TERMCMDRUN ARE:
>> # GNOME, SCREEN, XTERM and SCREEN
>> TERMCMD = "${SCREEN_TERMCMD}"
>> TERMCMDRUN = "${SCREEN_TERMCMDRUN}"
>>
>> But... it clearly is not after some testing. Hrm... I don't see anything
>> matching in bitbake.conf either. Where this has migrated off to would be
>> a good question for the list, hopefully someone like Paul E. can answer
>> this quickly.

Hmm, apparently I didn't - sorry about that! TERMCMD* were replaced by
OE_TERMINAL some time ago. I see we don't have any references to TERMCMD* so
I guess you removed these already. FYI there is a short reference to the
available options for the new OE_TERMINAL in the example config file which
you should be able to copy and adapt:

http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky/tree/meta-yocto/conf/local.conf.sample

Please let me know if you need any more info.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton