[yocto] core-image-minimal linux kernel version

Tomas Frydrych tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com
Wed Sep 5 12:17:33 PDT 2012

On 05/09/12 20:03, James Macon wrote:
> I found it but this is only partially the answer. I found
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel ?= "linux-yocto" in qemu.inc but there
> is no recipe for linux-yocto. There are recipes for linux-yocto_3.* ,
> linux-yocto-tiny, and linux-yocto-rt_3*.
>
> Somewhere during the build process something is appending to linux-yocto.
> I will keep looking but if someone knows the answer please respond.

The part before the '_' is the package name, the part after is is
version. So, linux-yocto, linux-yocto-tiny and linux-yocto-rt are three
different kernels, each of which can have multiple versions at the same
time.

You get automatically the highest available version a package unless the
version is specifically pinned down somewhere (e.g.,
PREFERRED_VERSION_virtual/kernel in the configs or DEFAULT_PREFERENCE in
the recipes themselves).

Tomas