[yocto] yocto beagleboard.conf -- should it not go away?

William Mills wmills at ti.com
Wed Sep 5 07:45:16 PDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 08:48 AM, Richard Purdie wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-09-05 at 10:43 +0100, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>> On 05/09/12 10:15, Paul Eggleton wrote:
>>> On Wednesday 05 September 2012 09:49:11 Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>>> It has been considered witin OE to be best practice to append to BBPATH and
>>> not prepend, the thinking being that then the search path matches the order of
>>> the layers listed in bblayers.conf rather than the reverse.
>>
>> Then meta-yocto should follow that convention ... and it needs to be
>> well documented, with the consequence of breaking that convention
>> explained, and the terrible punishments to come described in great and
>> sordid detail. Because this needs to be more than a convention, it needs
>> to be an article of faith.
>
> I just want to clarify something here.
>
> Its accepted that most layers will append to BBPATH. I do think its
> acceptable for a distro policy layer to prepend though and this is why
> meta-yocto does this. I don't remember the exact reason right now but
> the principle stands.

So how should we resolve the issue in meta-ti for the denzil/1.2 branch?

I think the expediency of prepending sounds right to me.  We can shoot
for a better fix in 1.3.

> The root of the problem is that meta-yocto mixes up policy and hardware
> support which is bad. It also means its not compliant with the new Yocto
> Project compliance criteria and hence is not Yocto Project Compatible.
>
> Now we've got the compliance criteria sorted out there are some
> adjustments that need to be made and I will shortly be cleaving
> meta-yocto into two pieces to resolve this. I hadn't looked at this
> until now mainly in case there were changes to the criteria.
>
> FWIW I think this shows the strength of those criteria as by following
> them, we'd avoid a real world problem here.

I'm glad you are thinking of doing this.  I think it sets a good example
and is cleaner.

However we will still need priority or namespace to override the
beagleboard definition in the meta-yocto-bsp (or whatever) layer if it
contains both the beagleboard reference and the atom-pc.