[yocto] yocto beagleboard.conf -- should it not go away?

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at gmail.com
Tue Sep 4 05:20:46 PDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 4, 2012 at 4:58 AM, Tomas Frydrych
<tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:
> Hi Bruce,
>
> On 03/09/12 22:08, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
>> That being said, taking a step back, what are you trying to get out of
>> meta-yocto in this scenario ?
>
> a) I am targeting multiple chips, including TI Omap and Intel Atom.
> meta-yocto is a prerequisite for the various machines in meta-intel, so
> I have to include meta-yocto if I want to build images for an Intel
> chip. Nothing unusual here.
>
> b) meta-yocto is the Poky distro layer; if you want to use Poky, then
> you need meta-yocto.
>
>> see above. I misspoke. I don't think there's an intent to make meta-yocto
>> and meta-ti work together, but oe-core + meta-ti, that's the combo that
>> makes sense.
>
> See (b) above; you are not saying that Poky is only meant for Intel HW,
> are you?

Definitely not. But I'm not familiar with anyone's (outside of the
weekly meetings
that I attend) plans for meta-yocto, so I'm commenting on what I see. You'd need
someone from TI to comment on their meta-yocto compatibility. And that person
definitely is not me :)

> The basic problem with meta-yocto is that it combines BSP stuff
> (meta-intel prerequisite, Atom & Beagle config) with distro stuff (Poky,
> Yocto branding). That's convenient for doing QA on a limited set of HW,
> but suboptimal for real use; BSP layers simply should not be dependent
> on distro layers, it largely defeats the purpose of having layers.
>
> Splitting out the minimal beagle config into a layer of its own would
> improve things quite a bit.

All of the above are things that Richard would need to comment on, the yocto
layering and maintenance is not something that I have control over :)

Cheers,

Bruce

> Tomas

thee at its end"