[yocto] Building a Custom Raspberry Pi Image using OpenEmbedded and Yocto

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 10:52:21 PDT 2012

Good evening all,

Over the past month or so I have been experimenting with using Yocto and
meta-raspberrypi to get a minimal image booting. After some frustration,
plenty of bug fixes and heaps of help from members of the community; I
believe that the layers are now well tested and fairly stable.

As some of you know I run a small Raspberry Pi community site[1] and I
would like to write a follow up to an earlier blog post about preparing
yourself for programming on the Raspberry Pi with the Yocto Project. As
I am no novelist I have put the blog post up on GitHub[2] and I would be
very grateful if people would be willing to give it once over and point
out (or patch!) any flaws. I know Yocto/OpenEmbedded/Bitbake can be a
minefield for the beginner and I still sometimes get it wrong.

If you are interested in contributing or making alterations I would
suggest either cloning the repository, or editing and commiting through
the GitHub web interface. Please use soft-line wrapping and take note of
the 'similar' bbcode style tags.

I plan to post it up in the next few days and try to let some people
know in the Raspberry Pi community.

[1] http://www.pimpmypi.com
[2] https://github.com/CommunistCode/PimpMyPi-Community-Blog-Posts

Cheers,