[yocto] ERROR: Function failed: do_rootfs, poky commit id 8ce23f569584f195391bc5c68a780e1bf54e4360

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 21:46:47 PDT 2012

Hi Ross,

On Oct 23, 2012, at 11:53 PM, "Burton, Ross" <ross.burton at intel.com> wrote:

> On 23 October 2012 19:35, Elvis Dowson <elvis.dowson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> the following entry works for the /etc/fstab for moving the /tmp file to RAM
>> none    /tmp    tmpfs    defaults,noatime,nodiratime    0    0
>
> tmpfs is in virtual memory, so potentially swap.  Have you benchmarked
> a build with the build on SSD verses in tmpfs to see what the
> improvement is?

There was no difference in build times with the /tmp folder in RAM or SSD

Both these scenarios took around 22 minutes for commit id
a3d5e9e6b7729319c518dcaf25bbe0643bfb25db

I think the optimisation is only useful to improve the life of the SSD
drive, by moving the /tmp folder to RAM. I've also moved the
fire-fox browser cache to RAM, to avoid hitting the SSD as far as
possible.

> An alternative (and less intrusive) is to increase the commit timeout
> on the build partition, which means more data is buffered in RAM
> before the disk is used.  I haven't benchmarked that either though. :)

I modified /etc/sysctl.conf as follows, to improve desktop performance.
One of the parameters vm.swappiness, controls swap to disk. With
a setting of 10, and 16GB of RAM, it hardly ever swaps to disk
throughout the entire build process.

Here are my /etc/sysctl.conf settings:

# Additional settings - these setting can increase desktop performance

# Configure vm.mmap_min_addr
vm.mmap_min_addr = 0
vm.vdso_enabled = 0

# Optimize swap usage to increase desktop performance
vm.swappiness=10
vm.vfs_cache_pressure=1000
vm.dirty_background_ratio=10
vm.dirty_ratio=30