[yocto] Yocto vs LDAT

Evade Flow evadeflow at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 08:52:34 PDT 2012

I've been quietly experimenting with Yocto at work for several weeks
now, flying under everybody's radar; but my bosses have discovered what
I've been doing and I now need to defend my position--not just from the
perspective of my little team, but for the whole company(!)

I work for an automotive supplier whose current big project uses LDAT.
We also have a two-year-old 'proof-of-concept' demo system that was
assembled using LDAT. The guys that sign my checks want to know: why
should they not remain with LDAT for future projects? I've been asked to
put together some kind of cost/benefit analysis to justify switching to
Yocto.

Unfortunately, I'm ill-equipped to do any such thing, as I don't have
much experience with LDAT. My understanding is that the newest version
of Wind River Linux uses Yocto rather than LDAT. And since Intel
(Yocto's primary corporate sponsor) purchased Wind River in 2009, it
doesn't appear that LDAT has a future.  Is using LDAT for new projects
even a viable option?  How difficult is it to 'port' LDAT layers to
Yocto?

Basically, I'm being asked: "Why should we do this, and what will it
cost?" Any suggestions for how to answer these questions?