[yocto] Getting gcc-4.7 and eglibc-2.16 to work with PowerPC440

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 10:27:09 PDT 2012

Hi Khem,
                 After I finished getting gcc-4.5.4 and eglibc-2.13 to build for the PowerPC440 target, using soft-float, I tried the following combinations

1. gcc-4.7.2 with eglibc-2.13 - result, no prompt on the login screen, able to ping the target board, but no root login prompt. It doesn't crash during the boot process either.

2. gcc-4.5.4 with eglibc-2.16: init crash with a kernel panic, immediately after boot, just before the login prompt.

I vaguely recall somewhere in one of the patches, or browsing some discussions threads on the internet, that before gcc-4.5, support would be dropped for specific powerpc variants. Perhaps is that why I'm running into these issues?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson