[yocto] Correct procedure for rebuilding after a git pull

James Abernathy jfabernathy at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:05:23 PDT 2012

So I'm looking for the right way to do this.  Here's the scenario.  I do a
complete build of the image core-image-cdv-media for the cedartrail
machine.  No changes from the basic BSP, except for the addition of my
meta-layer that include test audios and videos to help test the media
playback using gst-launch.  I'm tracking the latest Denzil branch.  So
everything works well to this point.

Now I see a bunch of patches pushed to Denzil branch and I want to test
them.  My build directory is untouched since the successful build before.
What do I do to rebuild my project to include the latest patches.  I've
tried things like "bitbake -c cleansstate core-image-cdv-media" before the
new "bitbake core-image-cdv-media" and I've tried just rebaking by itself.
Something always fails.  I've learned that to really test I have to
completely delete my build directory saving only my local.conf and
bblayer.conf.

Am I missing something or is a complete rebuild the only way to get the new
patches in and a successful build??

Jim A