[yocto] How do you release distros produced with Yocto? How should I?

Jerrod Peach peachj at lexmark.com
Wed Oct 3 05:23:58 PDT 2012

Tomas,

On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 3:59 AM, Tomas Frydrych
<tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com>wrote:

> > However, we'll likely have at least a hundred
> > packages for which we need to set/manipulate revisions.  I would think
> that
> > would get cumbersome, and in an organization the size of ours (500 or so
> > developers across two sites), there's not really going to be one person
> or
> > team who knows what should go in that file for a release.  Moreover, that
> > still leaves the problem of all those developers needing to know there
> are
> > at least two places in which their package revisions may be controlled.
>  Is
> > your organization significantly smaller than that or are we doing
> something
> > wrong?
>
> I would agree that in this scenario it would best to maintain the source
> revisions in the bb recipes themselves, it keeps people rom stepping on
> each others toes and accidentally changing revisions for other packages
> (which is easily done in automatic merge-conflict resolution gone wrong).

Okay, so it sounds like my game plan should be to tag my metadata and
branch it only if necessary, i.e. if someone needs to change a BB
file. (That makes sense, of course, but we have had a long, storied history
of branching when it wasn't necessary in our build and library system, so
that is a change for us.)  Even if we branch our metadata, we'll be
creating a new tag once whatever modifications we need have been made.  Can
anyone see a better way to handle releases than that?

Kind regards,

Jerrod