[yocto] How do you release distros produced with Yocto? How should I?

Khem Raj raj.khem at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 23:33:12 PDT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Jerrod Peach <peachj at lexmark.com> wrote:
> Tomas,
>

>> Sounds to me like your situation implies a single distro + multiple
>> machines, one for each distinct printer model; you can then specify
>> revisions on per-machine basis.
>

> I don't think that's actually what we want.  The architecture of each
> machine will be the same.  That is, one ASIC will generally be on all the
> printers in a family of products.  I think I actually have one machine +
> multiple distros.  Or, should I really be counting each different printer as
> its own machine?

well if machine is same then it should be so. But you can have
different images meant for same image. e.g. image-printer1
image-printer2 etc. however this may not be best if you want two
different versions of same package X in those two images. You could
also look into package groups and IMAGE_FEATURES. I think if you need
to put two different revs of same package then branching may be better
approach or you could have multiple recipes X-printerA.bb
X-printerB.bb
and so on and chose the right one into image-printerA and so on.

There are many ways you can use. You have to look into what fits best
to your needs