[yocto] Preempt-rt kernel build for beagleboard

Yu Pan panyu2000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 18:43:20 PST 2012

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Bruce Ashfield <
bruce.ashfield at windriver.com> wrote:

Mystery solved. The fragment is picked up properly in the build and
> everything is operating as expected.
>
> We had an old commit (that is still required for some configurations)
> that disabled preemption for the beagleboard due to SD card boot
> issues.
>
> That being said, the entire point of trying out preempt-rt is for the
> extra preemption, and without it, why bother. So I moved the preempt
> disable to the standard kernel only in this commit:
>
> http://git.yoctoproject.org/**cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-kernel-**
> cache/commit/?id=**551c7ad8c46d371c6b135357ed2d38**8d45af13d8<http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/yocto-kernel-cache/commit/?id=551c7ad8c46d371c6b135357ed2d388d45af13d8>
>
> Once I update the SRCREVs for the meta branch of the linux-yocto-3.4
> tree, you'll get the expected preempt settings out of the box:
>
> > grep PREEMPT linux-beagleboard-preempt-rt-**build/.config
> CONFIG_TINY_PREEMPT_RCU=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RCU=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_BASE=y
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_NONE is not set
>
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_VOLUNTARY is not set
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT__LL is not set
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_RTB is not set
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_FULL=y
> CONFIG_PREEMPT_COUNT=y
> CONFIG_DEBUG_PREEMPT=y
> # CONFIG_PREEMPT_TRACER is not set

Thanks a lot for helping Bruce.

I'm trying to do the modifications to the scc here in the meta branch using
 a local bare clone of the linux-yocto-3.4 repository. Still trying to
figure out the bitbake patching failures after modifying the SRCREV_meta
value to point to my recent most meta commission. Will let you know.

Cheers
Pan Yu