[yocto] IMAGE_INSTALL_append workflow

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Nov 27 12:11:27 PST 2012

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012, Trevor Woerner wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Robert P. J. Day
> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> > and ran the fetchall again.  this time, no strace source was fetched,
> > so it looks like an issue with simple fetching.
>
> Thank you for your testing and observations.
>
> But I'd like to point out that in my tests, all the relevant files
> have already been fetched. My DL_DIR already contains everything to
> do with bash, trace-cmd, and various others that I have been
> testing. The errors I am getting are not fetching-related errors,
> but are errors because do_rootfs can't find any packages (since
> packages relating to the recently-appended recipes have not been
> built).
>
> Somewhere in the guts of bitbake a modified IMAGE_INSTALL_append
> variable is not being noticed; packages aren't being created (as
> I've noticed) and sources aren't being downloaded (as you have just
> noticed). But somehow do_rootfs is noticing the change and
> complaining it can't find the necessary packages.

  for what it's worth, if you're building an image that's a variation
of a "core" image, an alternate way of adding packages after the fact
is:

CORE_IMAGE_EXTRA_INSTALL = "sysfsutils strace bash"

i just tested it and, when i added a new entry in that list, at least
the fetching understood and fetched that new source and patched it.
so it doesn't solve the original problem with IMAGE_INSTALL_append,
but feel free to see if that variation works for you.

  again, it's only valid if you're building a core image or some
variation thereof.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca