[yocto] Best way to support multiple versions of Poky?

Anders Darander anders at chargestorm.se
Tue Nov 27 00:10:18 PST 2012

* Burton, Ross <ross.burton at intel.com> [121126 14:58]:

> On 26 November 2012 13:55, Jerrod Peach <peachj at lexmark.com> wrote:
> > build-bundle (git repo with our layers + tools)
> > |
> > +-- meta-ourstuff (git submodule, i.e. separate repo locked to a specific
> > version within build-bundle)
> > +-- poky (another submodule)
> >    +-- poky BB files (i.e. within meta, meta-yocto, etc.)

> Guacamayo does something similar, although meta-outstuff isn't a
> submodule of build-bundle.

At ChargeStorm we're using a similar scheme to Guacamayo, i.e. we have
our repo with our recipes, bsp's, distro config etc. in our own
meta-*-directories. And the we have oe-core, meta-oe, and/or poky and
whatever layers we're using as submodules.

> Being able to branch a "next" branch that switched the poky revision
> to the danny RC instead of denzil was very convenient.

Indeed, and also to be able to create a next branch halfway between
denzil and danny, to be able to port / adapt some recipe that required
bigger changes at about the same time those occured in poky-master (or
oe-core master).

Thus, I'm pretty satisfied with our structure for the moment, though
everything can be improved.

Cheers,
Anders

--