[yocto] IMAGE_INSTALL_append workflow

Trevor Woerner twoerner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 18:20:30 PST 2012

On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Trevor Woerner <twoerner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I haven't yet figured out if the "PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel =
> "linux-yocto-rt"" line might be the culprit.

No, it is not related, this problem doesn't need any fancy
configuration features. This problem is reproducible
with just the plain qemux86 machine and the core-image-minimal image.
Also, before my latest tests I pulled
the latest git repo.

To reproduce this problem:

- use the latest git repositories
- run "source poky/oe-init-build-env qemux86"
- make no modifications to conf/bblayers.conf
- make no changes to conf/local.conf
- run "bitbake core-image-minimal"

After that completes successfully add the following line to your
conf/local.conf:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " trace-cmd"

- re-run the build "bitbake core-image-minimal"

This should complete successfully. When it does, modify the last line
of conf/local.conf to be:

IMAGE_INSTALL_append = " trace-cmd bash"

- try re-running the build now "bitbake core-image-minimal". It fails
for me as I have detailed in my previous emails.

If I manually do:

$ bitbake bash
$ bitbake core-image-minimal

everything succeeds and my image contains 'bash'. But something tells
me there's a bug in there somewhere.