[yocto] mail list for Xilinx Zynq platform?

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 05:33:12 PST 2012

Hi Daniel,
                   As far as I know, there is no specific mailing list for the Xilinx Zynq platform. I use the Xilinx forums to get help at the moment.

I personally have used Philip's meta-zynq layer to build a working u-boot and linux kernel image using Yocto. It works really well.

Using the Zynq is a little bit different than a standard ARM SOC. If you've worked with the TI OMAP series, you would be familiar with the x-loader component, that runs before u-boot. Well, the only difference here is that you need to use the Xilinx SDK to create a zynq_fsbl (first stage boot loader) project, using the defaults.

Once you've got the zynq_fsbl, you have a couple of options

a. Create a bootable image

Use the SDK create boot image utility to create a bootable image
- zynq_fsbl
- u-boot.bin
- system.bit (hardware bitstream)

You would rename the resultant file as BOOT.bin.

After that, you can drop the linux kernel uImage onto an SD card and boot linux as normal.

b. Download to the target using xmd and a tcl script

Use the xapp792 design files, to see how to download the binaries to the Zynq board using a JTAG cable. The tcl file is located in xapp792/zc702_video_3x_pipeline/ready_for_download/xmd_top.tcl

The whole process takes a couple of days to get used to. Let me know if you get stuck somewhere.

Best regards,

Elvis DOwson