[yocto] inconsistent pages out there for setting up your yocto dev host

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Nov 23 06:31:39 PST 2012

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Thursday 22 November 2012 06:54:33 Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >   first, is ASSUME_PROVIDED technically completely superfluous?
> > it's clearly meant to speed up processing, but could one (if one
> > wanted) unset it and have the processing still work (albeit more
> > slowly, of course)?
>
> If you like building things that you don't have to, sure, but I
> wouldn't equate that to it being superfluous. Note that if you do
> change this variable you are deviating from what has been tested, so
> you do so at your own risk.

  wait, this point interests me so indulge me for a minute.
obviously, there is a minimum collection of software one must install
before starting to use OE/yocto -- at the very least, say, the
fetching software -- so there will always be a page instructing a
developer to install that minimum.

  afterwards, you can use ASSUME_PROVIDED to take advantage of that
software, correct?  and that will certainly speed things up.  but in
what way does that represent a "tested" configuration?

  if you're on an allegedly supported distro, and you do an upgrade,
it's entirely possible that one of those bits of software gets
upgraded in a way that breaks OE/yocto, and by using ASSUME_PROVIDED,
you'll automatically start using that newer utility.  or is the list
of supported distros specifically only those installed out of the box
and never updated?  if that's the case, then, yes, i agree with your
position.

  i'm not trying to be maddeningly pedantic, i am merely succeeding.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca