[yocto] Best way to support multiple versions of Poky?

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Nov 22 00:35:09 PST 2012

I'm just getting round to moving from 'denzil' to 'danny'. I've got a layer that makes some changes to a few recipes through bbappend files.

However, 'danny' has bumped a few of these to a new version (which is good) which means I now have bbappend files that get a 'there is no matching bb file' errors when I try to build. This is easy to fix (generally just rename the bbappend to match the new version), but I would like the layer to be able to work with older versions of Poky - mainly in case I need to make changes to an existing project that hasn't be verified under 'danny'.

What's the best way to do this? All I can think of is to have another set of layers to use when building against a specific poky version:

meta-mystuff

+--poky-versions

   +--denzil-specific
   +--danny-specific