[yocto] inconsistent pages out there for setting up your yocto dev host

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Nov 21 17:19:05 PST 2012

On Wed, 21 Nov 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Wednesday 21 November 2012 17:23:56 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i've noticed there are various web pages purporting to explain how
> > to set up a proper OE/yocto development host, but they give what is
> > pretty clearly contradictory information.
> >
> >   as one example, there's this page on getting started with OE:
> >
> > http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Getting_started
>
> I produced this page recently; FWIW I also came up with the
> pared-down package lists that went into the Quick Start Guide which
> this page borrows. How is this contradictory if it uses the same
> information?
>
> > that claims to steal from a number of sources including the yocto
> > QS guide, but look at the packages one is instructed to install on
> > that page, particularly under fedora: python, perl, git, and so
> > on.
>
> So I don't recall exactly how perl got on that list; but python and
> git are absolutely required on the host. That's why they're in
> ASSUME_PROVIDED.
>
> >   as i read it, the sanity.bbclass and ASSUME_PROVIDED will
> > dictate what needs to be there and what will be used if it's
> > installed natively, no?  it certainly seems that that wiki page is
> > insructing the developer to install a lot of software that OE will
> > handle automatically, no?
>
> Er, no. Well, if by "handle automatically" you mean "error out when
> they are not present" then that's not very helpful - it's much
> easier if people just get a list of what they need to install up
> front.

  at the risk of asking a dumb question, let me make sure i understand
the different categories of software.

  first, there's what is absolutely *required* to be installed on the
development system already before doing any oe/yocto work.  those
would the packages/utilities that are listed on the wiki page as "you
must install this", and that's what's represented in the
sanity.bbclass.  is that about right?

  on the other hand, there's what's listed in ASSUME_PROVIDED, which
represents software that, if it *is* natively installed, will be used;
otherwise, oe/yocto will download and build it as part of the build
process.  correct?  or have i misunderstood the distinction here?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca