[yocto] inconsistent pages out there for setting up your yocto dev host

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Nov 21 14:50:58 PST 2012

On Wednesday 21 November 2012 17:23:56 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>   i've noticed there are various web pages purporting to explain how
> to set up a proper OE/yocto development host, but they give what is
> pretty clearly contradictory information.
>
>   as one example, there's this page on getting started with OE:
>
> http://www.openembedded.org/wiki/Getting_started

I produced this page recently; FWIW I also came up with the pared-down package
lists that went into the Quick Start Guide which this page borrows. How is
this contradictory if it uses the same information?

> that claims to steal from a number of sources including the yocto QS
> guide, but look at the packages one is instructed to install on that
> page, particularly under fedora: python, perl, git, and so on.

So I don't recall exactly how perl got on that list; but python and git are
absolutely required on the host. That's why they're in ASSUME_PROVIDED.

>   as i read it, the sanity.bbclass and ASSUME_PROVIDED will dictate
> what needs to be there and what will be used if it's installed
> natively, no?  it certainly seems that that wiki page is insructing
> the developer to install a lot of software that OE will handle
> automatically, no?

Er, no. Well, if by "handle automatically" you mean "error out when they are
not present" then that's not very helpful - it's much easier if people just
get a list of what they need to install up front.

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton