[yocto] RFC: Merging commits from into the main denzil branch

Scott Garman scott.a.garman at intel.com
Wed May 23 15:00:48 PDT 2012

Hello all,

As most of you know, I've been pulling commits into a pair of
sgarman/denzil-next branches which are intended to eventually become the
next Denzil point-release, 1.2.1.

oe-core based branch:
http://git.openembedded.org/openembedded-core-contrib/log/?h=sgarman/denzil-next

poky based branch:
http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky-contrib/log/?h=sgarman/denzil-next

So far I haven't merged or requested to merge any of these commits into
the main denzil branches of oe-core and poky, for two main reasons:

1. I've only performed the most basic build testing of these branches on
a desktop system, building core-image-minimal and core-image-sato for
our 5 qemu machines.

2. To date, we haven't had a clear process on how to transition from the
maintainer's personal branch into the official repo branch. I'd like to
develop a clear and documented process on doing this that involves
community feedback on the commits.

Just this week I've been able to start using the Yocto autobuilder to do
more comprehensive testing of my denzil-next branch, so issue #1 is
finally resolved, and I've got a green build to raise my confidence level:

http://autobuilder.yoctoproject.org:8010/builders/nightly/builds/462

So now to address issue #2. The goal is to incorporate community
feedback, so I'm looking to get ACKs or NAKs for these commits before
they go into the main denzil branch.

My proposal is to send denzil pull requests to the appropriate mailing
lists, and Richard can merge them into the main repo denzil branches
once they've received review by the community.

My goal is to send these pull requests about once per week, once I've
managed to get a green build out of the Yocto autobuilder for my contrib
branch.

What do folks think about this? Now's your opportunity to offer feedback
and influence this process.

Thanks!

Scott

Yocto 1.2.1 release maintainer