[yocto] [poky] RaspberryPi Layer

Andrei Gherzan andrei at gherzan.ro
Mon May 21 01:47:15 PDT 2012

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Tomas Frydrych <
tf+lists.yocto at r-finger.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 19/05/12 22:51, Andrei Gherzan wrote:
> > After an exchange of messages with Richard, Saul and John Willis (he
> > already started a layer for oe and did a good job in it) i want to
> > announce that i started start a fork from his layer and with Florin
> > Sarbu will prepare a layer for RaspberryPi to work upon poky.
>
> Why a fork? This is a bsp layer so it should be sufficiently generic to
> work both with Poky and OE, it is really undesirable that there should
> be more than one m-rpi layers in circulation.

There are issues that cannot be solved with just one layer. A distro is a
workaround but still. More about this, rpi layer will be included in yocto
project repos as  Richard plans so it makes sense to have a yocto specific
layer. It could be a discussion here about using a core layer and above
that some distro specific layers but in my opinion this would be a little
too complicated for this. Right now i use a distro file which inherits poky
distro in order to BBMASK some bbappends which we don't have in poky. Clear
now?

> > Until a stable version of this layer we will keep this layer on
> > bitbucket: https://bitbucket.org/agherzan/meta-raspberrypi.
>
> Considering that John Willis's work is on github, where a number of
> people follow it already, why move this somewhere else? This just makes
> it harder for anyone interested in this work to track what is going on.

I'm not a github user. But this wouldn't be a problem. I find bitbucket a
better place to hold any kind of git repo: it has collaborative options,
you can have private repos (free) and a bunch of other stuff. And after all
it is a git. You can clone it, fetch and pull anywhere on your computer. So
i don't find this a problem.

> My suggestion is to set up a github project for this, move John's repo
> under that as the master, and then any temporary tweaking for poky and
> otherwise can be done branches rather than separate repositories.
>
> > I don't know if a mailing list is needed but if there are any others who
> > want to contribute on this, we can adopt meta-fsl-arm's solution of a
> > google group and use it as a way of communicating.
>
> I think mailing list is needed; please do not use a group for this, and
> certainly not one that requires a google login. Perhaps Yocto could let
> us have a meta-rpi list?

Richard could tell us about this. If it's possible.

@g