[yocto] initramfs image

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Wed May 9 11:18:19 PDT 2012

On 05/08/2012 06:54 PM, Manuel Bessler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to figure out how to build an image of type initramfs, ie.
> kernel with built-in rootfs.
> I've got a rootfs.cpio.gz in build/tmp/deploy/images. But how do I
> tell the kernel to actually use it
> and "swallow in" the rootfs.

This isn't currently supported. The problem is the kernel would have to
wait for the image to be completed, and the image currently waits for
the kernel to be completed. In practice, this is often done in two
stages, the kernel is built, the rootfs is built, then the kernel is
rebuilt. This workflow has not been configured for OE/Yocto yet. If this
is an important feature for you, please consider opening a feature request.

Regards,

Darren Hart

> I've found a few variable that have to do with initramfs', but there
> are no simple examples,
> and for some variables I've not found any examples nor documentation at all.
>
> in  .../images/myimage-initramfs.bb I have:
> require myimage.bb
> INITRAMFS_FSTYPES = "cpio.gz"
> IMAGE_FSTYPES = "${INITRAMFS_FSTYPES}"
>
> In the same file I tried to set INITRAMFS_IMAGE to:
> INITRAMFS_IMAGE = "myimage "
>

> Do I need to set CONFIG_INITRAMFS_SOURCE in my kernel config manually,
> and if yes, to what?
> My kernel recipe is (for now) a simple kernel build, ie "inherit
> kernel"-based only.
>
> Am I using INITRAMFS_IMAGE the right way? What about INITRAMFS_TASK ?
> I could not find any information on this variable....
>
> I'm using yocto 1.2.
>

> Does anyone have a simple example on how to build a kernel with
> initramfs built in?
>
> I'd appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
> Manuel