[yocto] modify a kernel patch

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Mon May 7 07:48:59 PDT 2012

On 12-05-07 10:41 AM, Frans Meulenbroeks wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Not sure what the best place is to mail this (the YP list or oe-core
> or oe-devel or ...)
> Apologies if this is the wrong place.
>
> The problem I'm facing is the following:
> I have a kernel with some additional drivers that are not upstreamed
> because they are very specifc.
> I'm moving from oe-classic to denzil and from 2.6.38 to 3.2.
> Now some of the patches do not apply any more.
> In oe-classic I would have gone to the kernel work dir, fix the issue,
> do a quilt refresh and copy the patch back (there is a patch that
> contains our driver)
> However, denzil uses guilt instead of quilt
>
> If I do a devshell of virtual/kernel and want to do with guilt what I
> used to do with quilt I run into a problem.
> guilt status says: Patches directory does not exist, try guilt-init
> and indeed there is no patches dir like there was in oe-classic

Do you have guilt installed locally ? You are likely using the
native guilt. To keep patch lists separate on a per-branch basis
and to be able to capture them on th meta-branch, there are some
patches to guilt that move the patch directory location.

Are you working on top of linux-yocto-3.2 ? Or some other 3.2 tree ?

> Hence my question:
> What is a good workflow to modify a kernel patch.
> Or, what magic incantation do I need to give to guilt to make it working.

See above.

Bruce