[yocto] How to specify a machine defconfig for a linux recipe

Elvis Dowson elvis.dowson at gmail.com
Thu May 3 14:42:34 PDT 2012

Hi,

On May 3, 2012, at 9:55 PM, Elvis Dowson wrote:

> How can I specify a machine defconfig for a linux recipe?
>
> For example, if I set
>
> # kernel provider
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/kernel = "linux-omap3"
>
> and try to build my machine, I get the following errors:
>
> ERROR: Function failed: Fetcher failure for URL: 'file://defconfig'. Unable to fetch URL from any source.
> NOTE: package linux-omap3-3.2-r0: task do_fetch: Failed
> ERROR: Task 125 (/tool/yocto/meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-omap3_3.2.bb, do_fetch) failed with exit code '1'
> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 304 tasks of which 302 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

I solved this one.

Turns out, since I defined a new machine called overo-fire-chestnut43, I had to also create a folder called overo-fire-chestnut43 to hold the defconfig file as follows:

meta-gumstix/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-omap3/overo-fire-chestnut43/defconfig

I recall, the trend was to move away from user supplied defconfigs, and have it get generated automatically by the build process, and then specify some hints. Is there any example of how I can modify the existing meta-gumstix or any other meta-layer, to get the defconfig to get generated automatically?

Best regards,

Elvis Dowson