[yocto] Moving angstrom under the yocto banner

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Sat Mar 31 08:37:54 PDT 2012

On Friday 30 March 2012 11:44:23 Koen Kooi wrote:
> The Angstrom core team would like to move angstrom under the yocto banner so
> we can formally claim to be 'yocto'.

I think a lot of points have been well addressed in this thread already, but I
wanted to add (and reiterate) a few things. None of this constitutes Yocto
Project policy, just my own opinions.

I think it's perfectly reasonable if you base something upon the openembedded-
core and bitbake repositories to state that it is based upon the Yocto Project
(aside from any other conditions which Richard has already talked about; I'm
sure LF has some trademark policies as well). If you're supplying your own
distro policy as many will in their projects, you would not need to have meta-
yocto and it is reasonable if you are building a distribution such as Angstrom
to want to exclude it, since you will never be using anything in it. Whatever
you do though, I think you need to be able to demonstrate to your customers
that you are in fact basing your release on top of a Yocto Project release.

This could be accomplished through the use of tags - if you state that you use
BitBake x.y and a specific OE-Core tag, and this matches up with the Yocto
Project release you state you have based upon, then that should be sufficient.

A few other thoughts:

1) Angstrom has a very distinct distro policy from the default provided by OE-
Core (or indeed the Poky distro policy); it also currently uses different
versions of eglibc and the toolchain. This does make it for certain purposes a
slightly different platform from Poky or something else based on OE-Core. This
is not necessarily a problem, and is no doubt backed by sound reasoning, but
is worth noting and communicating to users.

2) With Angstrom being primarily a binary distribution, I have the impression
that you expect that that its distro policy will not be deviated from. There's
definitely a good reason for this and value in having such a distribution; but
users need to be able to understand the distinction. The Yocto Project itself
in providing a way to produce custom Linux distributions does not have such
restrictions - we expect that users will make whatever customisations make
sense for their project, although of course we make some recommendations as to
how they might be implemented.

Cheers,
Paul

--