[yocto] Moving angstrom under the yocto banner

Mark Hatle mark.hatle at windriver.com
Fri Mar 30 12:26:20 PDT 2012

On 3/30/12 1:44 PM, Koen Kooi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> RP said I should raise this on the yocto lists, so here it is:
>
> The Angstrom core team would like to move angstrom under the yocto banner so
> we can formally claim to be 'yocto'.

For it to be on the yocto project web site, it just need to have the layers
hosted on the git.yoctoproject.org.  But there is no "yocto".. It's the Yocto
Project, Poky, or specific git repositories.  There is no reason we can't have
an angstrom repository.  It could be in a similar format to the Poky repository
(everything combined for a single download), or it could be a layer [or layers]
that sit on top of Poky.

> What is the process to make that happen? I suspect OSVs will need to know as
> well, since lately yocto is being defined as 'poky + 1 bsp layer' which makes it
> impossible to provide any added value if you want to keep calling it 'yocto' to
> your customers.

I've never seen it defined as that.  I've presented on numerous occasions that
end users using the Yocto Project build environment, Poky, should expect to add
1 or more layers to Poky.  Usually I present that would be 2 or 3 layers
depending on their projects.  1 (or more) BSP layers, 1 (or more) userspace
layers, and 1 (or more) internal project/device layers.

External items come in layers and should not be modified, to ease long term
maintenance and upgrading.  Local changes should be made in one or more layers
depending on responsibilities, work flow and project requirements.

What I personally would like to see is Angstrom being one or more layers that
define a new distribution that can be added to Poky (or oe-core...)

--Mark