[yocto] can all of the licensing discussion be centralized in an appendix?

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Thu Mar 29 12:05:08 PDT 2012

Scott,

That's great. The dev manual is very comprehensive and at the right level
of detail. I think many new as well as more experienced users of YP will
appreciate it. From a quick read the only suggestion I have for now is to
place the section on "Customizing Images" before the section on "Adding
Packages". Most users will probably first build custom images by adding
packages using readily available recipes before writing recipes for their
own packages.

The reference sections in the reference manual are great. The other
sections need more work on coherence. Layers should be added, also a
section that deals with the syntax and semantics of setting variables e.g.
+=, .= vs. _append etc. This is where most people get confused.

Another thing worth explaining in the reference manual is the use of the
Bitbake data structures in Python functions in recipes. This is where I can
see folks pulling their hair out too.

I will keep on rummaging through.

Rudi