[yocto] tentative list of vars to be dropped from variable glossary

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Thu Mar 29 06:32:57 PDT 2012

I will take care of this.

Scott

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Purdie [mailto:richard.purdie at linuxfoundation.org]
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:48 AM
To: Rudolf Streif; Rifenbark, Scott M
Cc: yocto at yoctoproject.org
Subject: Re: [yocto] tentative list of vars to be dropped from variable glossary

On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 16:50 -0700, Rudolf Streif wrote:
> Thanks, Richard. Clearer now but not entirely.
>

>         >> BBMASK removes recipes from being parsed. It does not
>         remove them from
>         >> images although that would I guess be an indirect result
>         since you could
>         >>no longer build them.
>

> Yes, it removes it from being parsed. I used, for test although not
> sensible, BBMASK = "base-passwd". If I then tried building
> core-image-minimal it fails with "Nothing provides base-passwd". If
> one could use BBMASK to customize images as suggested
> in http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage-localconf then one would expect the package to be removed indirectly from the image. However, that does not happen, the build just fails.

I hadn't realised Scott had added this to the customising images section
of the manual. This is not what its designed for and we need to move
this to somewhere less confusing.

Scott: This is going to need to move somewhere else in the manual as
this is confusing. I'm going to suggest a 4.12 section "Other tips and
tricks" which says:

"""
Sometimes there are groups of recipes you might wish to filter out. If
there were recipes you know you're never going to want/use, removing
them from parsing would speed up parts of the build for example.

It is possible to filter or mask out both .bb and .bbappend files. You
can do this by providing an expression with the BBMASK variable. Here is
an example:

     BBMASK = ".*/meta-mymachine/recipes-maybe/"

Here, all .bb and .bbappend files in the directory that matches the
expression are ignored during the build process.
"""

Cheers,

Richard