[yocto] tentative list of vars to be dropped from variable glossary

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Mon Mar 26 16:50:43 PDT 2012

Thanks, Richard. Clearer now but not entirely.

> >> BBMASK removes recipes from being parsed. It does not remove them from
> >> images although that would I guess be an indirect result since you could
> >>no longer build them.
>
> Yes, it removes it from being parsed. I used, for test although not
sensible, BBMASK = "base-passwd". If I then tried building
core-image-minimal it fails with "Nothing provides base-passwd". If one
could use BBMASK to customize images as suggested in
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/dev-manual/dev-manual.html#usingpoky-extend-customimage-localconf
then
one would expect the package to be removed indirectly from the image.
However, that does not happen, the build just fails.

> >> Its designed so that if you for example didn't care out any *gpe*
> >> recipe, you could exclude them entirely and not even have the parse
> >> overhead.

That use case makes sense. If I know that I don't include certain packages
like *gpe* in the images I am building then I can speed up the
build/parsing process by masking the recipes and therefore the regular
expression syntax makes perfectly sense.

Thanks,
Rudi