[yocto] tentative list of vars to be dropped from variable glossary

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Mon Mar 26 12:42:03 PDT 2012

Another variable that seems to be dropped from the latest 1.1.1 revision of
the Reference Manual is BBMASK. In previous versions of the manual it was
explained that this variable can be used to remove packages from images.
However, that did not work for me and it did not surprise me either.

To include a package with an image you will have to make it a dependency of
that image. If you then hide the recipe of the package using BBMASK then
you are breaking the dependency and the Bitbake will complain with "Nothing
provides <package>" because the dependency is still there.

I could not think of any other use case for BBMASK in the way it is
implemented. Are there any?

Rudi