[yocto] does a meta-intel (sub)layer require adding the meta-intel layer to bblayers.conf?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Mar 25 13:05:08 PDT 2012

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012, Tom Zanussi wrote:

> On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 13:23 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > again, a discrepancy between the docs and the source files.  i
> > checked out the entire meta-intel layer, and below that the file
> > meta-crownbay/README clearly states:
> >
> > "Having done that, and assuming you extracted the BSP tarball contents
> > at the top-level of your yocto build tree, you can build a crownbay
> > image by adding the location of the meta-crownbay layer to
> > bblayers.conf, along with the meta-intel layer itself (to access
> > common metadata shared between BSPs) e.g.:
> >
> >   yocto/meta-intel \
> >   yocto/meta-intel/meta-crownbay \"
> >
> >   however, the ref manual, Section 4.1, "BSP Layers", suggests only:
> >
> >      BBLAYERS = " \
> >         /usr/local/src/yocto/meta \
> >         /usr/local/src/yocto/meta-yocto \
> >         /usr/local/src/yocto/meta-<bsp_name> \
> >         "
> >
> > note no mention of including "meta-intel" layer.  clarification?
> >

> Yes, I think that's as it should be - the general-purpose documentation
> shouldn't mention specific layers.  meta-intel has its own layering
> requirements as mentioned in the READMEs for those BSPs.  Also I think
> the text mentions it's an example, but I guess I'm a bit confused since
> I'm finding that in section 5.1. Example Filesystem Layout here:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html
>
> Am I looking at the wrong thing?

  ah, yes, i'm looking at the *newer* version of that doc as cloned
from yocto-docs where Section 4.1 of that manual is called "BSP
Layers" and really emphasizes meta-intel and related layers and,
because of that, has some awkward wording that might mislead the
reader.  if you want to check the yocto-docs version of the same
manual, you might see what i'm talking about.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca