[yocto] poky ref manual still confuses BB_ENV_WHITELIST and BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE

Rifenbark, Scott M scott.m.rifenbark at intel.com
Fri Mar 23 15:58:25 PDT 2012

Okay - I dug into this a bit with the help of Scott Garman.  He uncovered a bit in the BitBake changelog.  It states the following:

   By default it will now only pass certain
   whitelisted variables into the data store. If BB_PRESERVE_ENV is set bitbake will use
   all variable from the environment. If BB_ENV_WHITELIST is set, that whitelist will be
   used instead of the internal bitbake one. Alternatively, BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE can be used
   to extend the internal whitelist

This entry is by no means clear but has some information.  It implies that BitBake has an internal list of environment variables that can be preserved if the user sets BB_PRESERVE_ENV.  Where those variables are set and what they are I don't know.  Maybe BB_ENV_WHITELIST defines them.  But, Scott Garman said that BB_ENV_WHITELIST doesn't seem to be getting set in the sources.  Does this mean the user has to set it up?  I don't know.  Maybe there is an internal list separate from everything and then if the user sets BB_ENV_WHITELIST to anything that list becomes the BB environment list.  Regarding BB_ENV_EXTRAWHITE, I think it is pretty clear that is just used to append or augment BB_ENV_WHITELIST.

I think the actual example in the section B.5 is valid if you take it as augmenting a set of whitelisted variables.  What I need a clearer understanding of BB_ENV_WHITELIST, the existence or non-existence of a set of internal environment variables outside these lists as a default, and the effects of BB_PRESERVE_ENV.

I need help from the audience here....

Thanks,
scott