[yocto] setting of BBPATH differs between ref manual and actual layer.conf file

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Wed Mar 21 04:12:46 PDT 2012

On Wed, 21 Mar 2012, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   admittedly picky but the ref manual here:
>
> http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/current/poky-ref-manual/poky-ref-manual.html#usingpoky-changes-layers
>
> shows a sample setting of BBPATH in yocto's layer.conf:
>
>   BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
>
> however the actual layer.conf for yocto reads:
>
>   BBPATH := "${LAYERDIR}:${BBPATH}"
>
> should the ordering be consistent here?  should readers be warned
> about the (admittedly remote) possibility of weirdness if they happen
> to try to include two layers with the same name?  is that even
> possible?  does any of this even matter?

  i really hate replying to my own posts because i forgot to do
something basic, but i did a quick grep:

$ grep -r "BBPATH :=" *
documentation/dev-manual/dev-manual-common-tasks.xml:     BBPATH := "${LAYERDIR}:${BBPATH}"
documentation/dev-manual/dev-manual-kernel-appendix.xml:     BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
documentation/bsp-guide/bsp.xml:     BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
meta-hob/conf/layer.conf:BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
meta-skeleton/conf/layer.conf:BBPATH := "${BBPATH}:${LAYERDIR}"
meta-yocto/conf/layer.conf:BBPATH := "${LAYERDIR}:${BBPATH}"
$

  so there's a mixture of that ordering.  if there's no real reason
for that, it should really be consistent so readers don't wonder about
it.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca