[yocto] why is YOCTO_GIT_URL defined to use http?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Mar 18 09:09:40 PDT 2012

Dear Robert,

In message <alpine.DEB.2.02.1203180937590.7439 at oneiric> you wrote:

> > $ git clone http://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git git
> > Cloning into git...
> > fatal: http://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git/info/refs not found: did
> > you run git update-server-info on the server?

This is indeed an issue that should be fixed on the server.

>   now that i'm awake, i can expand on the above.  it seems that you
> simply can't use a single entity for this since you can use it in two
> different contexts:
>
>   1) for browsing (http://)
>   2) for cloning (git://)
>
> isn't the obvious solution to define two different entities, to be
> used depending on the context?

Umm...  I think you get this wrong.  You should be able to access the
repository thrugh git both with

	git clone http://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git
and
	git clone git://git.yoctoproject.org/poky.git

For access though a web browser, the URL would be

	http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/poky

which is indeed a separate thing.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer you will
find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it  on
the computer.