[yocto] overriding the bbappend behavior of recipes

Joshua Immanuel josh at hipro.co.in
Wed Mar 14 12:51:15 PDT 2012

Hello all,
	I have added a custom layer which contains the .bbappend file for
base-files recipe. Which in turn has 'do_install_append' method. I am
generating two sets of custom images in which, one requires the
bbappending whereas the other doesn't require it.

So, how would I control this behavior? Basically, I want the
'do_install_append' to be executed for one image and not for the other.
(If I want for example say, the custom fstab file for one image and the
default fstab file for the other)

Adding a OVERRIDES in the image recipe would not solve the issue as the
order of package builds is undefined. Which means that I cannot add a
method like this 'do_install_append_custom1' in the bbappend file.

Moreover, I found that if a (bbappended or any) recipe is built by
bitbake for an image as its dependency. That recipe is not built again
for an other image which also depends on it (due to sstate). It just
copies the already built package's files to sysroot.

I guess, the only possible hack to do this would be to add a
IMAGE_PREPROCESS_COMMAND in the image recipe. Is there any other better
way of doing this? Please guide me.

Regards
--
Joshua Immanuel