[yocto] contradictory explanations of IMAGE_INSTALL in yocto manuals

Rudolf Streif rudolf.streif at linux.com
Fri Mar 9 09:08:14 PST 2012

I don't think that there is a difference. At least not from my experience.
Every time I have the choice I tried both variants and then examined the
resulting variable e.g.

bitbake <recipe> -e | grep IMAGE_INSTALL

It looked the same. My conclusion is to use += and =+ for variables and
_append and _prepend for tasks. But I could possibly be wrong since there
are definitely many more cases than I have tried. Hence, it would probably
be prudent to dig into Bitbake's code to see how it handles _append and
_prepend. I have not had time to do that.

Rudi