[yocto] yocto and LTSI

Bob Cochran yocto at mindchasers.com
Fri Mar 9 06:36:39 PST 2012

On 03/09/2012 08:43 AM, Bruce Ashfield wrote:
> On 12-03-09 07:20 AM, David Nyström wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Whats yoctos take on LTSI ?
>>
>> http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=ltsi-kernel.git;a=summary
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/484337/
>>
>> I've noticed that LTT-ng and other kernel patches are independently
>> ported and maintained by the yocto project.
>> Are there any plans for yocto to have ltsi-kernel patches as upstream ?
>
> We'll be syncing up with the ltsi kernel parts over the summer.
> But yes, LTSI will be one of the sources used for yocto kernel trees.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Bruce

I just finished reviewing the slides for LTSI given at ELC:
(https://events.linuxfoundation.org/images/stories/pdf/lf_elc12_shibata.pdf).

Why does the Linux Foundation need to get behind yet another effort to
maintain a kernel repository for embedded?  It seems that many of the
objectives are the same for the two projects regarding the kernel.  Why
not just branch a yearly Yocto kernel as long-term stable and add the
support methodology outlined in the LTSI slides to this branch?  Perhaps
this could also be done with the Poky repo?

How is a developer supposed to view Yocto and LTSI?  The former is
cutting edge, developer friendly with all the bells & whistles, and
experimental but use the latter for production???  Or maybe use the
tools and rootfs from Yocto but the kernel from LTSI?

It seems Greg K-H of LTSI should join forces with Yocto and keep things
simple & unified for us embedded developers (or Yocto should dump
maintaining its own kernel repos and just draw from LTSI).

Bob