[yocto] iptables not building on master

Bruce Ashfield bruce.ashfield at windriver.com
Tue Mar 6 06:21:07 PST 2012

On 12-03-06 06:41 AM, Robert Yang wrote:

> Hi Dexuan,
>
> After more investigation, I found that the:
>
> -I/path/to/sysroot/usr/include
>
> has been treated as the standard system include directory,
>
> and from gcc's manual:
>
> -I dir
> Add the directory dir to the list of directories to be searched for
> header files. Directories named by -I are searched
> before the standard system include directories. If the directory dir is
> a standard system include directory, the option is
> ignored to ensure that the default search order for system directories
> and the special treatment of system headers are not
> defeated .
>

> so whether we put the kinclude_CPPFLAGS at the front or end doesn't
> change the search order, gcc will always search iptables-1.4.12.2/include/
> firstly, if we want to use the those header files consistently from the
> sysroot, we should remove the iptables-1.4.12.2/include/linux directly
> since all the files in this directory are from kernel headers, but after
> I remove the directory, the build failed at:
>
> | In file included from libip4tc.c:118:0:
> | libiptc.c:70:8: error: redefinition of 'struct xt_error_target'
> |
> /buildarea/lyang1/war_8/tmp/sysroots/crownbay/usr/include/linux/netfilter/x_tables.h:69:8:
> note: originally defined here
>
> It seems that iptables keep and use their own kernel header files.

iptables has always done this .. and it has periodically caused issues like
this in the past. Typically something like you have above is done, or
iptables is updated to a newer version (I assume we can't do that
in this case?), to fix any build issues.

I've had iptables in a directory/location with a dependency on a particular
kernel version (to show the coupling) in the past to enforce a check
before the build breaks.

Cheers,

Bruce