[yocto] proper recipe for building for beagle xM? meta-ti?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Sun Mar 4 04:19:25 PST 2012

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012, Denys Dmytriyenko wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 02, 2012 at 04:18:41PM -0700, Gary Thomas wrote:
> > On 2012-03-02 15:50, William Mills wrote:
> > >We will update the README when it is merely in need of testing.
> > >Today, we know there is code that does not work with GCC 4.6.
> > >Today, we know there are features in the recipes that do not work w/o Angstrom.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on the above?  I have been [I think] successfully using poky+meta-ti
> > to support internal platform based on DM8148 and DM3730 - meta-ti is the best choice
> > for a kernel "jumping off point" for these platforms.  So far, I've only
> > had to make a scant few tweaks to get this combo to work, in particular:
> >
> > * In conf/local.conf, I use this to avoid parsing problems with some meta-ti
> >   recipes (none of which I need at the moment)
> >     # Ignore troublesome TI recipes
> >     BBMASK = ".*/meta-ti/recipes-misc/"
> >
> > * In distro.conf (I do have my own distro, but it's very close to poky), I needed
> >     # Allow hardware overrides, e.g. armv7a
> >     OVERRIDES .= ":${SOC_FAMILY}"
> >
> > With these minor additions, I've been able to use the meta-ti layer for [some]
> > kernel work, u-boot, DSP support, etc - all the stuff one expects the layer
> > to provide.
> >
> > I know my setup is a bit outside pure poky+meta-ti, but it does show that
> > you don't actually have to have Angstrom to use meta-ti.
> >
> > It would be nice to understand what your concerns are, certainly the details
> > of your two "Today,..." statements above, if they fall outside what I've outlined
> > here.
>
> Gary,
>
> Clearly, the README is meant for the new people, who might find it
> too complicated for the above fixes to be applied in order for them
> to avoid using Angstrom. But you are correct, besides known isues
> with gcc-4.6 not working for some components and hence requiring
> meta-oe; SOC_FAMILY and systemd dependency in recipes-misc/images
> were the only other two things requiring meta-angstrom layer.
>
> You can try the updated meta-ti now, as it should solve those
> dependencies, thanks to Koen's latest patches. Please let us know
> how it works for you. Thanks.

  not sure if you're suggesting i should now be able to build for,
say, beagleboard with the meta-ti layer, but i cloned meta-ti into my
yocto tree, added that layer to bblayers.conf, and tried to

$ bitbake core-image-minimal

and got what i believe gary was referring to above:

$ bitbake core-image-minimal
Pseudo is not present but is required, building this first before the main build
ERROR: ParseError at /home/rpjday/yocto/git/meta-ti/recipes-misc/payload/bonescript.bb:5:
Could not inherit file classes/systemd.bbclass
ERROR: Command execution failed: Exited with 1

  or am i misreading what you wrote?

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca