[yocto] simplest recipe for running yocto qemu images? [SOLVED]

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Mar 2 04:41:46 PST 2012

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012, Paul Eggleton wrote:

> On Friday 02 March 2012 07:16:08 Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >   i gathered that.  but is it unreasonable to suggest that this is
> > something that *should* be easy to do?  if new users simply want to
> > see what a yocto-generated image looks like under qemu, shouldn't
> > there be a way to let them do that without going through an entire
> > build?
>
> I see what you're saying, but the problem with this is the qemu
> version we build is not the same as qemu that might be installed on
> the host machine. We apply quite a number of patches to qemu in
> order to support features we need (such as GL); if you allow
> beginners to easily use something else then it just makes support
> harder because certain things that normally work in the current
> setup will not work when the host tools are being used instead.

  just for fun, i addressed the only thing that was stopping me, and
that was that runqemu was looking for a slightly different sysroots
directory name than the toolchain provided, so:

/opt/poky/1.1/sysroots$ sudo ln -s x86_64-pokysdk-linux/ x86_64-linux

and then ran:

$ TMPDIR=/opt/poky/1.1 runqemu qemuarm zImage-2.6.37-qemuarm-1.0.bin
core-image-minimal-qemuarm.ext3

and it worked.  yes, i'm sure i'm abusing all sorts of things but, in
the end, once i dug through it, it seemed fairly easy to get it to
work.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca