[yocto] <rant>the current yocto FAQ is pretty much valueless</rant>

Philip Balister philip at balister.org
Wed Jun 27 14:14:12 PDT 2012

On 06/26/2012 12:53 PM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2012, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
>
>> Kooen's cheeky point is worth keeping in mind though; the Yocto
>> naming semantics is not very helpful ;-) Specifically most of the
>> questions being asked on the Yocto list are about Poky, not Yocto,
>> followed by questions about meta-yocto, not Yocto-project. Many of
>> the questions being asked on the list are readily answered by
>> googling for 'Poky Manual', but clearly very few people understand
>> the Yocto project semantics enough to do this ...
>
>    and if you want major industry players to take yocto seriously, the
> last thing you want to do is answer their heartfelt pleas for
> assistance with, "i'm sorry, that's technically not a yocto question,
> you should try another mailing list."
>
>    even if you're technically correct, that sort of conversation is not
> going to end well.

The number one question I get asked about the Yocto Project (this is
from an audience of people in the software radio area) is how the Yocto
project relates to OpenEmbedded (and sometimes Angstrom).

Having a realy good answer to this on the FAQ would be awesome.

Philip

PS: Yes, I know this thread is a few days old. I'm on vacation, sue me :)