[yocto] LAMP layer

Paul Eggleton paul.eggleton at linux.intel.com
Wed Jun 27 09:27:58 PDT 2012

On Wednesday 27 June 2012 16:22:09 Jack Mitchell wrote:
> I think this is a fantastic idea in general and if I remember correctly
> someone from Linaro was attempting to do something similar to this the
> other day - so I can't only be me who would appreciate something like this.

Indeed, I saw Marcin's earlier thread - at the time I wasn't far enough along
to reply unfortunately (was just an item on my todo list), but at least
there's interest :)

> The one issue I have (initially) is why should it be limited to the
> Apache web server? There are a couple of good web servers out there
> which lend themselves much more to an embedded style development than
> (IMO) the bloat that is Apache.
>
> For example:
>
> Lighttpd (already in core)
> nginx
> Hiawatha (my personal favourite - I have a recipe I already use in
> conjunction with PHP)

I agree Apache is not something you would typically consider to be embedded-
friendly, however if you've already got something web-based that is built on
top of Apache or relies on functionality that only Apache can provide, and you
want to integrate that into an embedded product, then nothing else will really
suffice.

However I do think there's scope to include these other alternatives
particularly if the layer turns into more of a generic web server layer, but I
can't commit to maintaining (specifically, updating and testing) the additional
recipes on my own.

> I also remember someone from WindRiver posted recently regarding a
> meta-networking layer, which I also thought was a great idea if not only
> for (in my use case) tftp/net-snmp support all rolled up and supported.
> Maybe this could be a layer with that "section"?
>
> i.e.
>
> meta-networking
>      meta-webserver (meta-l*mp?)
>          recipes-*
>          recipes-*
>      meta-*

Whenever a new layer is introduced there's always the question of where it
should be physically located. I worry more about the confusion that multi-
level layers cause - particularly when they're named the same thing - than I
do about multiple repositories, but I realise others have different viewpoints.
If they are in separate repositories there's still nothing stopping them being
used together.

Cheers,
Paul

--