[yocto] LAMP layer

Jack Mitchell ml at communistcode.co.uk
Wed Jun 27 08:22:09 PDT 2012

On 27/06/12 15:05, Paul Eggleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In conjunction with the folks at Wind River I'm currently in the process of
> putting together a layer to support the traditional LAMP stack, and wanted to
> solicit some opinions on how this might be structured/named/etc.
>
> I think we have the "L" pretty much covered ;) and we have MySQL in meta-oe
> (I'm not convinced that's where it should stay, although perhaps it need not
> be tied to this layer either). So the layer would at the very least be adding
> Apache and PHP, with the possibility of web-related python and perl recipes
> being added at a later date.
>
> Some of the other things I'm looking at adding more immediately:
>
> * collectd
> * mysql-connector-odbc
> * phpMyAdmin
> * unixODBC
> * xdebug
>
> The question of how this should all be structured is still not fully
> determined. I'm thinking this ought to be at least one additional layer (i.e.
> meta-lamp, or some other name), even in the face of the proposed meta-
> networking, since the number of recipes in the LAMP layer is likely to grow
> over time and it's a specific set of functionality that people would explicitly
> select.
>
> I now have updated apache and modphp recipes building and working reasonably
> well, although further testing will be needed. Initially I'm prepared to
> maintain these recipes, however if not immediately at some point in the near
> future it would be good to see a maintainer step forward with more specific
> knowledge of these particular pieces of software.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Cheers,
> Paul

Hi Paul,

I think this is a fantastic idea in general and if I remember correctly
someone from Linaro was attempting to do something similar to this the
other day - so I can't only be me who would appreciate something like this.

The one issue I have (initially) is why should it be limited to the
Apache web server? There are a couple of good web servers out there
which lend themselves much more to an embedded style development than
(IMO) the bloat that is Apache.

For example:

Lighttpd (already in core)
nginx
Hiawatha (my personal favourite - I have a recipe I already use in
conjunction with PHP)

I also remember someone from WindRiver posted recently regarding a
meta-networking layer, which I also thought was a great idea if not only
for (in my use case) tftp/net-snmp support all rolled up and supported.
Maybe this could be a layer with that "section"?

i.e.

meta-networking
     meta-webserver (meta-l*mp?)
         recipes-*